I'm a total sucker for the sheer excitement this semi-annual event draws. Everyone is ridiculously supportive of each other during this whole thing (as necessary as wine between meltdowns) and, outside of the initial 20 bloggers that do the official challenge, it's so great to see 100+ fabulously talented bloggers and designers participate in the link up on Thursdays. Not to mention the fact that it actually forces me to finish a space. Something that apparently requires external motivation and hot deadlines. I first thought this would be the perfect opportunity to tackle our original 1967 guest bathroom. And then I remembered that I'm pregnant with a toddler, and I desperately need my husband to stick around. Which seemed unlikely if attempting a gut job with such a tight deadline...
So I've opted for another space that's been begging for a makeover for some time now. Not because it isn't a great space. But because we need it to function differently now that our family is growing. Ad because my taste changes constantly and I'm just ready to stare at another color on the walls.
It's a bit strange to be showing before shots that I'm not wildly embarrassed by for once! Here's the room I'll be making over in its current state:
Photos by Jane Kortright
** YAY! **
Which means that all of my shop-related things have been orphaned, and need a new home. Since formal dining rooms seem to get the least amount of actual use, assigning this room dual functions seems like the best choice.
Things I'm hoping to accomplish in here:
- Comfortable, casual vibe. I love me some bold spaces, but I've learned that I don't love to live in them.
- Kid-friendly finishes, fabric and function (aka accommodates messy fingers, crayons, and takes a good beating).
- Suits six comfortably, ten in a pinch, and one when I can sneak a few minutes to myself.
- Functions as an office without looking like an office. Plenty of hidden storage for business thangs, table pretties, and - because they straight up can't be contained - toys and such.
- After almost four years, a space that finally gets used more than twice a year. I've already planned my first dinner party so the pressure is on!