One Room Challenge No. 3 // Fall 2015

October 21, 2015

Well. Here we are. It's week three of the One Room Challenge, which sounds like we're halfway through, right? Technically that is the case. However, smart kid here planned a photo shoot for next week so I'm seeeeeeeeeeriously stressing right now. (To catch up, see weeks one and two.)

As in I may or may not have had several emotional breakdowns last week selecting art and anxiously awaiting a ceiling medallion that I ordered 2 weeks too late.

Luckily, I've learned to anticipate this kind of emotional display at some point during the challenge and I know that once I get it out, things will start rolling again. And that they did.

The painting has been brutal, you guys. BRU-TAL. Here's a hot tip: If you ever ever EVER think you're going to paint over a high gloss dark saturated color, you cray. Hire. This. Out. I've used just about every paint out there, so I was eager to try ORC sponsor Farrow & Ball for myself. Next time, I'll let the results be enough of a reward....




This is where I extend copious amounts of praise and gratitude to my mom for spending HOURS trimming out this beast so I didn't have to tape. My mom, you guys. I am one lucky lady, I tell ya.

I am in love with the new look of this space. I know you have to use your imagination a little bit because I wasn't able to get any shots during daylight, but trust that it is looking fabulous in here. And almost twice as large! Which will be important once I get a storage system going on the north wall.

What's that? You want to see more of that lighting situation? Why sure!



 I debated the exact medallion for far too long. A few of my favorite contenders:




I read somewhere -- in an old Bible Domino mag, I believe -- that the medallion should be 1/7th of the ceiling square footage. I'm not sure whose scientific estimate that was, but I went slightly larger because I wanted more impact and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

I LOOOOVE the simplicity of the Nelson pendant! It lets off the most delightfully diffused glow. Pretty sure it's been on during all of my waking hours at home. Wasting electricity = happiness.

You might have gotten a peek at the Sarreid chest in the shot above?

 She needs a little cleanup before settling into her new home, but I think she'll be quite happy here. I suspect this will be where most of the linens and misc dining goodies live. (We found this beauty locally, but One Kings Lane has something similar right now. You'd just have to track down a base!)

I've finally made some of my art selects. ORC sponsor Minted has an unbelievably vast library of fantastic options. My OCD tendencies had me going through every single piece before deciding. Which took, you know, until last night.


Hopefully I'll be showing you which pieces won next week. I've also had some of Ava's art framed for the walls. Our little budding abstract artist is making mama proud!

Left to accomplish:
  • Replace the window. That should be arriving tomorrow. Wish my husband luck for good weather and a speedy install this weekend!
  • Window treatments up. Going neutral here as discussed in week one. Or two...What day is it?
  • Settle on final answer for storage wall. (Shoot me now.)
  • Accessorize. The fun part!
That's all I have for you this week. Eager to see what kind of progress everyone else is making now. Some of these ladies have been out of town up to this point. Crazy!!

 Also check out the link up participants because there are some maaaajor projects going on there!

Huge thanks to Linda of Calling It Home for helping me maintain a sky high level of crazy.
Thanks as well to generous sponsors Farrow&Ball and Minted for their help transforming our home!


 

14 comments:

SHERRY HART said...

Shut your darn mouth.....that medallion with the modern light fixture....just made me get all prickly. You go girl.....wow me all you can!

Redo It Yourself Inspirations said...

Love the use of medallions. They're fabulous!

Unknown said...

Big high fives for doing that paint job yourself, mama! Looks awesome. And that chest...swoooon!

Unknown said...

I'm loving it all! I've never had to paint over such a saturated color before, and now I'm thankful that I haven't. LOL! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next week!

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Ahhhh! That medallion and light. But the chest. I love your chest!!! (Yes, I said it). Send that my way when you are over it. Paint color looks great, too.

Unknown said...

You know that light/medallion combo just gave me all kinds of happy goosebumps. ADORE! And your art collection is serious perfection- absolutely adore the mix. Well done on the new paint- I've done gray over black gloss before and it is most definitely, not for the faint of heart. All is looking so so good!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

looking good girl! and the chest! love it!!!

xoxo
cristin

Ivy Lane said...

I love how the paint came out! I liked your old paint colour a LOT...but this new one is so soothing! The light fixture looks aMAZE!

Can't wait to see next week's post!!

xo,
Ivy

A Perfect Gray said...

crazy about the new light - very andy newcomb-ish. and he is my absolute favorite as far as how he did his home.

donna

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

photo shoot next week??? EEk! Love the art. Will it arrive on time? wishing you speedy luck.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Reschedule the photo shoot. Hire a painter. Hire someone to install the window :)...secrets to a happy marriage. It looks amazing. Great job.

Melissa @ Polished Habitat said...

So much goodness happening in this room! Can't wait to see it - and I don't envy your photo shoot next week. I'd be in big trouble!

Arielle said...

LOVE the chest and the paint looks great! And I can only imagine what it took - I think about what a beast that project will be whenever we sell our house and someone wants to paint over our dark green room. It won't be me!

Vanessa@Decor Happy said...

Love the new paint colour and high fives to your Mom! I wish I had time to source a medallion - it kind of fell off the to do list. All of these are so striking and I love the one you chose. Hope the room is ready for its close up - I'm sure it looks amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger