One Room Challenge // Week One

October 1, 2014

Hellooooooo. Welcome! I am so very very excited -- and only a little bit scared -- to be participating in the One Room Challenge for the second time around. (You can see my first go at it here.) I long debated whether to start over on our dining room or finally take a stab at our master bedroom....With a tot just over a year old and finally sleeping consistently in her own bed (knock on wood), I'm thinking there's more value in transforming our bedroom into a sanctuary. Outside of a new king bed, this room has not been touched since we moved in almost three years ago.

I think it's time.

Here's where we begin. And I would be remiss if I did not say that I am HUGELY embarrassed by these befores after three years here. Hugely.

That bed just looks so sad and lonely, doesn't it? Cute kitty though.

Books, mags and cords are my nemesis.

The shoe cabinet came from my grandpa's office. Needs sprucing. Bench will get a long awaited makeover.

Flashlight and toilet paper? So prepared for emergencies!

Why even make the bed?

I mean, sort of wondering what I was thinking when I brought this home....
BTW, there's my dirty laundry.

Two armoires?? Yes. Because my husband is attached to the last piece of furniture he can say he picked out himself (before I came along, of course).

Why is the breakfast tray up there you ask? We're not sure either.
Not because we use it for breakfast in bed, I can tell you that.

Truthfully, I don't hate the wall color. I just think the room could use some brightening up.

The moulding and trim are stellar at least.

And here's the rough plan:


I say rough because I am not really one to follow a plan. But for the sake of establishing a general direction, action items are below:

- bring in rug for a pop of color

- paint the room (most likely a warm, light grey)

- remove armoires (One of which is left over from the previous One Room Challenge! We never got it downstairs and out of the house. Oopsies.)

- solve for dresser

- new bedside lamps (gourd or round to counteract all of the boxy elements)

- explore new bedside tables? paint existing?

- account for additional beside storage needs if applicable

- art

- dress up shoe cabinet (wallpaper? paint?)

- reupholster bench - thinking animal print

- create reading nook

- solve for full length mirror with armoires out

- of course, display plenty of brassy vintage accents! #brassforeva

I'm hoping to achieve something that feels warm, bright and airy with color pops, comfortable and, ultimately, very livable. What you see in six weeks will not be staged for photos. It will reflect how we actually intend to use this space...which means I'm solving for the piles of magazines, the kleenex box, laundry basket, etc. Here's hoping I can make it beautiful! Thanks for following along.

Now for my favorite part -- let's go see what the other players are starting with!


Trademarked by Calling it Home

43 comments:

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Love love love the plan! It's going to be fantastic!! :)

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to see your redesign Tobe! Your voice is hilarious in this post BTW - flash light & toilet paper - fantastic. My hubs has so many barristers & your shoe cabinet makes me want to use one of ours for shoes! love it XX jana

The Pink Pagoda said...

Tobe, this room will be INCREDIBLE!!

Unknown said...

Hilarious...I too have the multiple dresser situation because hubs doesn't want to give up his tallboy situation in my master...silly boys! I love your new plan- it feels perfectly in keeping with your warm, layered, smartly glamorous style and I can't wait to see it come to life!!!!

xx

Mary said...

Love your plan! But I would do dark blue lamps. But that's just me. I like contrast.

SHERRY HART said...

I think this will be a perfect room to tackle....a sprinkling of "pretty" is just what it needs! Loving the plan and the warmth the rug will bring.

designchic said...

It's going to be amazing - I love a honeycomb mirror and a touch of leopard…perfection!!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love seeing your dirty laundry :). My husband is also attached to things he purchased? Can't wait to see this come together. Love the bench and shoe cabinet.

Mark said...

Good Luck and I'm so excited to see the "After" photos. And, how brave of you to show those "befores". FYI, my room looks way worse so don't worry about it.
See you soon!
m.
Hermans Steel Garage

Victoria McGinley said...

Can't wait to follow along!!! xx

Unknown said...

Tobe, I love the direction you're going in for the master bedroom. And of course I'm happy to see your trademark of awesomeness - a fab rug! Excited to follow along!!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

oh yes!! This will be fabulous! I love that mirror you are thinking about. I love your plan. it will be a sanctuary for sure!

Unknown said...

Flashlight and toilet paper HA!

This will be glamaze I am sure. Hooray!

Vel Criste said...

I'm still sharing my bedroom with my newborn so I can't wait to see how you turn yours around! Good luck and glad to follow along!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Cant wait to see it...

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with!! I'm loving the plan so far, especially that gorgeous rug!

Jacquelyn | lark & linen said...

YES!! I am SO excited to see the afters. GO FORTH AND PRETTIFY!

Anonymous said...

pretty sure an Easy, Tiger Oh So Fancy print would look amazing in your boudoir.

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

seriously love the direction you're thinking! can't wait to see this transform!!! I'm participating in the challenge as a linking participant tomorrow! Fun road ahead! cheers

Shannon said...

It's going to look so awesome! I can't wait to see, and I can't wait to play along!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Oooh this is going to be FABULOUS Tobe, I cannot wait to watch it all unfold! Especially excited to the bench transform into something awesome!

Jessie said...

I love the windows, mouldings and all the space you have in your room! Great potential and wonderful plan. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

oh dear that armoire has gots to go! sorry hubs!
glad you are doing the bedroom and getting your special sanctuary. xoxo

Mary@ I Like it Lovely said...

Love your before pics (and captions). Can't wait to see how it all comes together! The plan looks great Tobe.

waitingonmartha said...

Love the ideas! I'm always a sucker for a leopard stool...can't wait to see more doll! xo

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see what you do! i have two similar rast hacks put next to each other and heads up- they are not straight/even. if you want pictures, i can email you some. if you want to do an ikea hack, the tarva may be a better option.

Jill Sorensen-LiveLikeYou said...

This will be a cool makeover, the carpet, the blues and that mirror. Awesome. I always tell my fiance or any male client - if you bought it while in college-out it goes. LOL

The Pink Clutch said...

Absolutely love your plan!!! That bench will be to die for!! xo

Tiffany said...

This will be such a pretty transformation. By the way, I think our cats are brothers from another mother.

mrs. V | Chez V said...

You had me at flashlight and toilet paper. Or rather that fabulous rug situation. I know you will kill it, girl!

Jessie | The Design Daredevil said...

Tobe I want to redo (or DO since it's never been did!) my bedroom SO BAD, but I just don't have the funds. Can't wait to live vicariously through you!!!! XO

Beth Connolly said...

Love the direction you are heading and looking forward to following along.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your room transform! I love the mirror! I look forward to checking your progress next week!
Shelia
House of Highlands

Unknown said...

I love everything you have planned here-right down to the leopard bench fabric! Can't wait to see it all come to life! xx

lemondropdreams said...

I feel even worse about my master after 9 years...I think the armoire with mirrors would look good painted...sorry hubby, yours needs to go...can't wait to see it all unfold!!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

This room will be wonderful, cannot wait to follow along. Why is it we always put the master on the back burner when it really should be up there on the top!

kate@willowinteriors said...

LOL-ing over here reading your post! Love the bedside emergency kit! And the master is always the last to address. I decided to do my last kids room this time...next time the master i swear!
Well, you better hold on to that breakfast tray b/c when this room is done u r going to need it b/c u r never going to want to leave. If it look even half as good as your office turned out I am going to be flipping! Good luck!

Carrie said...

I love your real-ness! This is going to be stunning! So glad to be following along again! :)

A Latte Lipstick said...

Don't be embarrassed! I can't wait to see the transformation!! :)

XO Chloe
A Latte Lipstick

Allison said...

I am so glad you are back!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Can I just say how much I love your shoe cabinet?????? Brilliant. room is done as far as I'm concerned! Really, can't wait to watch.

Sienna said...

i actually love your room as is so i'm excited to see what you do with it!

apieceoftoastblog said...

Plans are hard for me, too - which is why I had to hire a designer to do it for me! But I love what you're using as your jumping off point...almost as much as I love your "real life" before pics and the accompanying comments. You crack me up! Excited to see this unfold!
xx
Molly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger