I think it's time.
Here's where we begin. And I would be remiss if I did not say that I am HUGELY embarrassed by these befores after three years here. Hugely.
That bed just looks so sad and lonely, doesn't it? Cute kitty though.
Books, mags and cords are my nemesis.
The shoe cabinet came from my grandpa's office. Needs sprucing. Bench will get a long awaited makeover.
Flashlight and toilet paper? So prepared for emergencies!
Why even make the bed?
I mean, sort of wondering what I was thinking when I brought this home....
BTW, there's my dirty laundry.
Two armoires?? Yes. Because my husband is attached to the last piece of furniture he can say he picked out himself (before I came along, of course).
Why is the breakfast tray up there you ask? We're not sure either.
Not because we use it for breakfast in bed, I can tell you that.
Truthfully, I don't hate the wall color. I just think the room could use some brightening up.
The moulding and trim are stellar at least.
And here's the rough plan:
I say rough because I am not really one to follow a plan. But for the sake of establishing a general direction, action items are below:
- bring in rug for a pop of color
- paint the room (most likely a warm, light grey)
- remove armoires (One of which is left over from the previous One Room Challenge! We never got it downstairs and out of the house. Oopsies.)
- solve for dresser
- new bedside lamps (gourd or round to counteract all of the boxy elements)
- explore new bedside tables? paint existing?
- account for additional beside storage needs if applicable
- dress up shoe cabinet (wallpaper? paint?)
- reupholster bench - thinking animal print
- create reading nook
- solve for full length mirror with armoires out
- of course, display plenty of brassy vintage accents! #brassforeva
I'm hoping to achieve something that feels warm, bright and airy with color pops, comfortable and, ultimately, very livable. What you see in six weeks will not be staged for photos. It will reflect how we actually intend to use this space...which means I'm solving for the piles of magazines, the kleenex box, laundry basket, etc. Here's hoping I can make it beautiful! Thanks for following along.
Now for my favorite part -- let's go see what the other players are starting with!
Trademarked by Calling it Home