One Room Challenge // Week 3

October 15, 2014

Hello and welcome back to the One Room Challenge! It's week 3, which means we are HALFWAY THROUGH. Bananas. Also, holycrapistillhavealotofdecisionstomake.

To recap in case you're just now joining us: In week 1, we took a look at the starting point for my master bedroom and established a loose plan. You can see that here.

I hate planning ahead. I'm terrible at it.
So when this Sarreid chest showed up in my garage while I was out of town



my plan immediately changed. Because, if you don't already know this about me, I looooooove me some brass in a people-worry-about-me kind of way.

In week 2, we took a look at the rug I chose for the space, narrowed wall color choices to 8 shades of gray, discussed Ikea dresser hack inspiration, and decided on the mismatched bedside tables.

Which brings us to week 3. I could say that I'm very impressionable (and I am), but I was quite literally willing you guys to agree that the room couldn't do without the Sarreid/Saarinen combo. So thank you. I ordered the sexy Astrid Marble White Side Table from ORC sponsor Lamps Plus (thank you, Lamps Plus!!!) and it arrived yesterday. I don't have everything in place, so I can't say for sure that it's the perfect combo....but it is. We all know it is.

Here's the evolution of the room thus far:

I went with Modern Gray on the walls. It's a soothing, barely there gray and I'm really happy with it. Grays are haaaaaaaaaaaard. Finding the right shade takes a great deal of patience and $8358476849 in samples. Here's a peek at the transformation:


Never was able to snap an after photo with good light, but trust that it's purty.

As you can see above, I've opted to skip the painted Ikea hack because I just don't have the strength. (And by "I don't have the strength," I mean my husband doesn't have the time.) But he did have time to decipher Ikea's instructions, so he got to work constructing the Malm 6-drawer dresser and it's looking good!

God bless husbands. Especially mine.

We'll give the dresser a little je ne sais quoi with stylish brass pulls. I'm still collecting options, so let's break that down next week, m'kay?

Since the bedside tables are different sizes and heights, I'm leaning towards sconces instead of lamps. I love the idea of matte black because it's sexy as hell and adds a masculine touch to the space. Something like zees:


Because yes, Christine, YES.


Elizabeth Cooper as seen in Lonny Magazine

Of course, with a minimal budget, this may mean finding the right shape and spray painting them myself. A girl's gotta eat, you know.

Also, I was able to snag a set of gorgeous chairs over the weekend. I'm thinking one may make it into the bedroom because DANG. My daughter, Ava, even approves :)


I'm finally honing in on art and fabric selections, which I'll be discussing in more detail soon. Is that all over the place enough for you today?? Whew!

Time to check on my fellow participants.

Trademarked by Calling it Home

31 comments:

Unknown said...

First, you're the sweetest- thanks for the mention!!! I love the matte black sconce situation you have going on in combo with that brass goddess and Saarinen handsomeness. And then, holy shananigans that CHAIR! I might have just passed out- it's perfect in every possible way.

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you said...

that chair is stupid. i need to get out more. i am glued to the internet and i should be scouting my city. love the barely there gray. so versatile.
go on with your bad self tobes (white girl cheer).

LIV Vintage said...

Oh my God, those CHAIRS !!!!!
Can't wait to see it all come together!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Love reading your posts. I can't wait to see what you decide with the sconces. How cute is Ava!! Fab chair.

kate@willowinteriors said...

Love that chair you found!! And all of your other decisions. Finishing up painting my son's room revere pewter and worrying b/c he keeps saying it's not gray, it's brown! So I feel your pain there. Love the black sconce idea...Christine's interiors shot...OMG!! :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

I can't breathe for love of that chair. Aces. I can't breathe for love of that Sarreid. Brass aces.

Elizabeth // Stone Textile said...

Love how the paint turned out and love your Lamps Plus picks! Cannot go wrong with matte black + brass! This is going to be a good one-cant wait to see how it turns out!

celine@aquahaus said...

I LOVE the evolution of this sexy bedroom. Roooarr.. (That's my sexy leopard roar)

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your paint color is lovely! What a difference it makes! The matte black wall sconces. Oh my. This is all going to be amazing. Oh and that chair!! It's to die for!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

Yes that chest is just too beautiful and so is that chair! It's a work of art and I'm so happy it will be in your bedroom. Love the black sconces! yes!

Unknown said...

THAT CHAIR!!!!

I mean... you probably don't need it. Send it over here please.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Yes. A big fat yes!

Jessie said...

I love that brass chest, it's so cool! Great plans, can't wait to see more next week!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Jacquelyn | lark & linen said...

I legitimately drooled over that leopard chair when I saw it the other day. Drooled. It wasn't pretty. BUT THAT IS!

Amy C. said...

THAT CHAIR AND CHEST!!! I died!!! And perfect pick on the gray... I love the whole thing and can't wait to see the final product!

SHERRY HART said...

Oh you tease with " it's kind of coming together".....because yes m'am IT IS COMING TOGETHER in the best way......I'm in with everything so far:)

Unknown said...

chair + chest. im so jealous. i want! I also love the matte black lighting idea...its looking good girl.
xo
ashlina

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it come together!!!

apieceoftoastblog said...

Wait but really, those chairs are SO GOOD! You HAVE to put one in the room. Maybe next to the sexy marble table, I feel like it could use a sassy friend. Greys are hard (but for real, whites are harder, and I totes screwed up my white and it's kinda a pale blue. Must fix) but you totally nailed it.
xx
M

designchic said...

It's going to be fabulous - the brass chest and leopard chair alone make me know that - great finds!!

Unknown said...

Holy moly!that chair! Not to mention the cuteness in leopard crawling beneath it:)...and that gray paint color, YUM!

Beth Connolly said...

Those sconces and that chair - I am in love!

Unknown said...

Oh, man! Persian rug mixed with animal print! My favorite. I can't wait to see it all come together. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

Check out this Look 4 Less @Decorpad.com - might be a great option for you! :-)


http://www.decorpad.com/look-4-less/1630/Serge-Mouille-1-Curved-Arm-Rotating-Sconce

Unknown said...

Holy hotness your bedroom is going to be amazing! Night & day with just the paint alone - that always makes me wish I did it sooner! Love the mismatched nightstands & idea of black sconces. THOSE chairs - sups envious over here! Cannot wait to see the design come together! XX jana

Katy Byrne said...

HAHA love your comment on brass. That chest is beautiful

www.designsbykaty.com

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Love your ideas and the rug will look fantastic!

Unknown said...

The chairs + the brass chest. You go!

Sienna said...

holy whoa. that CHEST! wow i haven't seen a piece like that before

Jennifer said...

Where did the brass Sarreid chest come from??

Tobe | BIA said...

Hi Jennifer! The Sarreid chest was a Craigslist score.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger