One Room Challenge // Week 2

October 8, 2014

Hello again! Welcome to week two of the One Room Challenge, where I am making over our master bedroom in six short weeks. You guys were crazy kind last week. Thank you all for your support! We're well into week two over here, and still with many many decisions to make. Those of you that know me probably aren't surprised by this. Those of you that don't know me, that's because I failed to properly introduce myself the first time around. Hashtag dumdum.

I'm Tobe. I am a graphic designer and hand lettering artist by trade. I was one of those kids that constantly rearranged my bedroom, so no surprise that I grew up to find a passion for interiors. Creative frustration led me to blogging almost 5 years ago, and it's been an unbelievable journey ever since. My style is definitely eclectic - if you follow me on Pinterest, you will see a wide range of influences....I'm a big fan of mixing old and new, and I like things to change all. the. time. Which is why I became a vendor for One Kings Lane's vintage market -- to avoid hoarder status as I collect all of the things. (You'll notice that I have a particular weakness for brass.)

Whew. On to the ORC.

Last week I said the goal for this space is comfortable, bright, airy, and very livable. Here's how I'm planning to achieve the look:

- As bedrooms go, I definitely tend to like generally neutral spaces with centralized color on the floor. When my mom and I came across this beautiful Persian rug several months ago, I knew it would be really fantastic in my bedroom. The palette is pretty soothing, but still bright so it's a great fit for the space! Here it is the day I found it:


It's since had a good bath.

- I do love the current color of the room (you can see it again here). However, I'm leaning towards a more versatile light gray. These are a few of my top contenders:

 Each has a great deal of depth and range of color at different times of day. I think I've narrowed it down to one, but I'm still a bit on the fence. Here's hoping I have the final answer on the walls next time we see each other...

- The armoires you saw last week are finally outta there, which makes the room feel one thousandy times larger. I debated moving this estate sale score from our guest room:


 Quite a few of my Instagram friends loved this idea. (We're friends, right?) And I do, too, because it would be great excuse to finally get it painted. Except our master bath is small and space is limited, so if I can find a fun way to display a few things and free up much needed drawer space in the bathroom, that is most ideal. A low dresser would suit this purpose nicely. Since coming across the right vintage piece could take days, months or even years, I'm leaning towards an Ikea hack. Kansas City JUST got our own Ikea (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I am dying for the excuse to take advantage. Some of my favorite hack inspiration:








Bold color? Two tone? Classic with fancified pulls? Not sure I can make a call until the walls are painted. (Nope. Not going to let that freak me out....yet.)

 - The current bedside tables are a great style, but the drawers aren't very tall and that has proven tres inconvenient on more than one occasion. I could paint these guys and add some fabulous hardware:



Or go with a mismatched option using tables that I have in inventory. Like zees Sarreid beauty that magically appeared when I was out of town last weekend (thanks, Mom!):


Perhaps paired with a simple Saarinen on the other side?


YUM! I love the idea of mismatched tables bringing a more casual vibe to the party.

Whew. There's still quite a bit to address past these items, but it's even tougher to make those calls without having the big stuff in place, so we'll discuss more next week after I've made some progress.

Things like

- bedding and pillow accents

- bedside lamps

- the shoe cabinet, which needs sprucing

- bench reupholstery - animal print?

- a reading nook...if there's enough space

- curtains?

- solve for a full length mirror (duh. a must.)

Please cross your fingers and toes that much is accomplished this week. Let's go see what kind of progress everyone else has made, shall we? (And did you catch the link-up party last Thursday?? So many great projects going down!! Excited to see everyone's developments tomorrow!)


Trademarked by Calling it Home

33 comments:

Abby M. Interiors said...

That rug is dream! You always find the best pieces. Can't wait!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Mismatched all the way baby.

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you said...

MIS-matched MIS-matched MIS-matched.

that's my 2 cents.

designchic said...

Your rug is stunning and love that it is going to be such a focal point in the room. Saarinen side table and IKEA hack…can't wait to see!!

The Pink Clutch said...

Love the rug, and the grey walls will really help that rug stand out in its glory!! Your choices for side tables are to die for ... so many good options! I vote for the chest and round table option ... would be a fab choice!! xo

Mary@ I Like it Lovely said...

Love the tulip table and the Sarreid mix! That would be fantastic. Looking good so far lady!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love the idea of soft gray walls. You know this post encourages me to be more of a furniture hoarder. Your collection is impressive. I need your mom to shop for me.

Amy C. said...

EEEK! This whole design is just making me so giddy! I love everything about it! Keep up the good work!!!

celine@aquahaus said...

I very much love the idea of mismatched end tables. So casual Elle Decor. Waiting with bated breath.....

Decor To Adore said...

I love your plans for the space! The rug is just fabulous.

I will reveal tomorrow that I successfully removed the wine holder from my ORC bathroom.
Happy day!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

the rug is so beautiful! and I love the look of mismatched sidetables. I have that ikea hack from Little House Blog and I don't recommend them for your master....ok for a guest room but not your master you need something more solid. They came out beautiful, but just my experience...with the drawers and stuff...please use that brass beauty your mom found.....if you ever sell it let me know!! It is fantastic!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I loved reading about you, Tobe! This room is going to be fantastic. I LOVE the rug! Persians are my favorite. The mixed bedside table idea sounds fun!

Jessie said...

So many wonderful pieces especially that gorgeous brass table! I can't wait to see the transformation of this space!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

SHERRY HART said...

That rug is damn good....I love how rich the colors are! Whatever your decisions are about the end tables and dresser....I know it is going to be good. Some of those Ikea hacks are incredible!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Love the mismatched idea! That brass chest is crazy amazing!

cindy hattersley design said...

Love the idea of mismatched...that brass number from your mother is gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

The brass number in combo with the Saarinen...in combo with the rug!!!! Hallelujah!

Monica said...

Where did you find the rug? I'm in the KC area too, and I have been searching for a great vintage rug but Craigslist is letting me down :( I'd love to know your favorite local sources if you'd be willing to do a post on that!

Unknown said...

that brass number just makes me weak. Can't wait to see this come together. I agree with everyone, mis matched! go girl! xo
thedecorista.com

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Sarreid yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

That RUG!!! And yay for the Ikea opening up in KC...you've inspired me with all of those awesome hacks!

Unknown said...

I love those paint color options and that rug is great! Looks like it's going to turn out great, no matter what you decide on for side tables!

Sarah Baynes: Decorating Ideas, Style Ideas said...

Mismatched for sure and love the rug.

Unknown said...

That rug is amazing and I love neutral gray walls! I can't wait to see more!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

holy mackerel, that rug is dreamy!

I'm a linking participant in this ORC challenge and I need to kick it into high gear, girlfriend!

Can't wait to see what else is in store.!

Jessica said...

Wow. You've got a tough decision on those nightstands! I'm in love with the bamboo... then again, the chest is amazing too!! What will you do?!?!

Elizabeth // Stone Textile said...

What beautiful paint selections! Love that vintage piece and love the mis-matched look.

LIV Vintage said...

Loving it! That Sarried brass chest is super

Stephanie | glitter and goat cheese said...

Thanks for including my Rast! :)
That Sarreid/Saarinen combo sounds heavenly.

Unknown said...

I am so excited by this one! Oh dear god that RUG!! And you have so many beautiful ideas already, I'm in awe. You are going to nail this, my dear, I'm sure of it. xxx

Beth Connolly said...

I love your vintage finds. This is going to be wonderful.

Jessie | The Design Daredevil said...

I LOVE the rug and could care what else happens as long as you use that gorgeous brass trunk!!!!!

apieceoftoastblog said...

I want that rug! And I wish I had your knack for finding vintage goodness...because those pieces you showed in this post (no matter what option you go with) will make for such a great, layered look!
xx
Molly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger