house guest // the aestate

May 9, 2012

i really doubt that today's house guest needs any introduction. if you haven't been following jessica before now, you have seriously been missing out. she's hilarious, stylish, honest, and has an unbelievable eye for design. i'd be lying if i said that i don't occasionally want to lick my computer screen when i see her posts. i'm also fairly certain we'd be fast friends in real life if we ever met. super honored to have her visit today!
. . . . . . .

Jessica here from The Aestate! I want to give a big thanks to Tobe for having me as her house guest!


Variety is the spice of life and nothing gives a room the “wow” factor like a great pattern combination, but mixing patterns can be tricky. The pros make it look easy- throwing together mixes that looks effortlessly chic and daring. Its a skill I'd love to master myself, but it takes time and practice to develop an eye for patterns that play well together, so I want to share with you a basic method used by many decorators. Remember we’re not just talking throw pillows here. Upholstery, curtains, rugs, wallpaper, lamp shades, and trims are all opportunities to inject some pattern and texture into a room. When you’re feeling stuck, try this method for selecting patterns…
  1. Pick a large-scale pattern with many colors in it: This one will set the tone for the whole room. The more colors it contains, the easier time you’ll have finding textiles to fit the mix in the room.
  2. Pick a medium-scale pattern with a few colors found in the first pattern:  Doesn’t need to have all the colors, but it definitely should have a different motif.
  3. Now, pick one small scale pattern with just a few or one of the colors found in the first two: This one can have a similar motif as one of the first two.
  4. Bonus: Add one or more very small-scale patterns or textures.
I hope these rooms will inspire you to mix it up...

{1 2 3 4}
Have any pattern mixing tips to share?


22 comments:

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Yup!

Now, Jess, can you tell us how to draw watercolors of pretty fabrics with such ease? Cause I certainly can't do that.

Southern Styled Flair by Brandi said...

Great photos! I love the second one!!

flairbybrandi.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Jessica is a genius- great post...adore mixing patterns in a room and wowzers...can we talk about her painting ability? LOVE!!!

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

I want to give our living room some color and pattern and was just mulling this very topic over last night. Perfect timing! I have something to work from now. Thanks for the tips Jessica!

Erin said...

I just want to draw like that... then I could make my own patterns.

Excellent post!

Emily | Recently said...

Mixing patterns is not my forte, so I'll take all the advice I can get! Can't get enough of Jessica's watercolors either!

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design said...

I so admire people who have mastered mixing patterns. These pictures are gorgeous, the last one is my favorite!

{The Design Daredevil} Jessie D. Miller said...

Jess is the bestest! Her watercolors are the shiz...

I have been into that second photo for a min, that wallpaper is ridic!

Jamie and Vashti @ Like Me Some said...

What a great post! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love mixing patterns! Great tips!

The Buzz Blog said...

I think I was born without the mixing gene and Jessica has come to the rescue! Love her tips and her blog.
xxoo
Carolyn

Unknown said...

Love this, Jessica, and thank you for the intro to Because It's Awesome! Love you both!

Regards, Whitley
www.thequeencitystyle.com

Anonymous said...

Like it!
xx

Jessica said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments, and thanks again to Tobe for having me, and for that awesome intro!! A pleasure to guest post on one of my fav blogs! xo

Albertina said...

I love your watercolor of the pillows! I love the day bed pattern combinations. Be bold or go home!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Awesome post, thanks for the tips!

design elements said...

a w e s o m e!

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

great tips, Jessica! I love that first room, so original!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oooooh girl - im totally bookmarking this for my clients. I am always getting asked how to mix patterns, and this too is what we tell them, but I need an easy resource to send to them like this. GREAT JOB and the pics to go with are PERFECTION to illustrate your point!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this - there's so much to learn about mixing patterns! I liked your inspiration photos as well! I have this linked to my "patterns" post as well today, it's great!

SD said...

I love the colors! The way you mixed the patterns is amazing and beautiful. So glad I came across your blog. Now I have some more Design Ideas. I'm in the process of redecorating my home with the help of Simply Decorate. Even though I work for Simply Decorate, I can honestly say they have a wonderful interior design blog that is making my redecorating lots of fun. It's definitely worth taking a look at.

Unknown said...

Wow! I like how you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger