changing it up

March 31, 2011

calling all amazing designerly readers (that's you!) :: i need some advice.

long story short, hubs and i are putting off our house hunt. could be fall, but will probably be next spring. so all of my thoughts of starting fresh with furniture are on hold as well. but i can't continue to live like this! my style is changing, and i would love for my our home to reflect that.....on a seriously tight budget. no sense spending a ton of money now when our next home may require all new diggs, right?

five years ago, i bought my first couch. the lines are beautiful. i've never been so in love with the sage green color, but i negotiated it down to an insane price, so i wasn't walking away from it. reupholstering may be totally out of the question, so i have to consider my options if i keep the color. we're also sticking with the chrome/glass coffee table that hubs and i bought our first christmas living together. mostly because i haven't overcome the sentimental value of it, and the see-through factor is nice in our small space. i also recently scored an amaaaaaaaaaaaazing amy kligman original that will be staying. i half died when i first laid eyes on this painting and i love, love, love it on our wall.

given all of that, do we like a, b or c?

a ||  a lot of what i already have, but changing up pillows and accessories. i have a brass lamp that's begging to be repainted (white?) and that toned-down zebra print adds another layer of pattern and texture, which i'm really into right now. this is a colorful option, totally in keeping with the rest of our place (color whore here!). however, this is something that i'm finding myself gravitating away from ever so slightly.


b ||  less color. still playful, but with a bit of sophistication. love these pillows, but am slightly afraid our kitten will destroy them. he's never outgrown his suckling phase, and has done a real number on one of our throws...the fur-esque pillows would be immediate targets. stylish immediate targets, mind you.


c ||  more in line with where my taste is moving (neutrals with pops of color), but requires some reupholstery. not so sure that will happen, but if the masses vote for it, i have ammo for my argument with hubs :)


* that little wood guy goes in a tray on the coffee table amongst books and bowls and such. i just wanted to show that hit of wood, which we actually have a lot of in our loft.

vote away, my dears!

12 comments:

laura said...

i vote for A, because i'm never afraid to mix a few patterns. good finds, tobe! this is so fun!

Sarah Greenman said...

I vote for A too because I love color and its spring... so live it up girl!

Anonymous said...

I think you should stay away from reupholstering until you get your new place, in case you bring the couch along, you might want something completely different! So my vote is for A. Mixing patterns and adding color really brightens your day and everyone needs a little something bright when they come home :)

Jackie said...

I'm all for giving you the ammo you want, so I vote for c. It really is my fave. After that I like B.

Heather said...

I think I like B. It's a little safer than A, but if you're moving in the near future I think it's good to keep it kind of neutral for now and then you can add some spunk when you get into your new place.

Bess said...

I vote B. I'm a neutrals girl myself and would like living with A for about a week before it'd drive me crazy. And I can't get behind the black throw pillows of C. When I had roommates, one of them brought black throw pillows along and it was a long 2 years. :)

Lauren said...

C. Am I boring?

lark + linen said...

I personally like C! I'm such an advocate for neutral hues, with colour brought in through accessories. That way if you ever do feel bored (which happens to me a LOT), you just have to switch out the art, get some new pillows, maybe paint a wall. Tada!
C is classy, sexy, sophisticated while still remaining fun. Reupholster that bad boy! and another argument: you can totally use the newly reupholstered couch in the new place too. It's not like it will go to waste, especially being a neutral fabric.

Tobe | BIA said...

ladies, you're giving me a lot to think about and i like it!!

Kristine - A Graceful Home said...

I vote for A. The pillows are totally fun and would look great in your place! I also like C, but you know me and my love of neutrals!

Mrs. Gumshoe said...

A all the way.
I voted AND it rhymed!
The lamp sold me.

Ampersand Design Studio said...

sorry, i think i have expensive taste, but I vote C! but, if you can't do the upholstering, I go with B! Honestly, they are all so fun, you totally can't go wrong!! In fact, I'm sure if I came back in an hour, I would vote differently!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© Because It's Awesome All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger